Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern Front - Gameplay

+5
Nix Machina
maswoon
AgreeableChap
Tsubasa
SnakeWrangler
9 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Northern Front - Gameplay Empty Northern Front - Gameplay

Post by SnakeWrangler Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm

The beginning of summer is always Eric Nordin's favorite time of year. The delayed thaw of the Alaskan vegetation is always heralded by greenery and a chorus of wildlife set against a violet sunset. As he sits on his favored bench by the edge of the Barndock Forest, he leans back to take in all the sounds - the trees rustling in the evening breeze, the birds excitedly twittering, and the emerging frogs voicing their guttural approval of the new season.

Eventually, he feels his phone buzz in his pocket. He pulls it out and smiles - a message from his wife, Cecile, letting him know that dinner is ready. He stands up and stretches, thankful for another pleasant evening - and unaware that a pair of eyes in the dark are now focused upon him.

Eric Nordin did not return home that night. His wife does not sleep.

Elsewhere in Barndock, a special girl has a special dream. It's the first of these she's had in a while, and she gets a feeling - something big is on the horizon.

She finds herself nearly knee-deep in dark, swampy water, surrounded by trees. Around her, there is a chorus of frogs that swells to nearly deafening levels. A huge shape rises out of the murky bog, eyes glowing. All of the frogs fall silent as she meets the eyes of this shape.

The last thing she sees is the shape letting out a huge croak of its own before launching something at the girl.

She wakes up with a start.

Elsewhere, an initiate wakes up to their agency-issued pager buzzing furiously. The kind of notification that happens when there is a serious job to do.

There is a message awaiting them:

One missing. Another attacked.

Monsters likely.

Something is wrong. Perform initial investigation and head to the fishery.

Bring those who already know.

Finally, a police officer receives a report through her radio. A jogger called 911 after being attacked and...

Swallowed by something. At least, so they say?

For everyone else...

It started like a normal day, at least.

SnakeWrangler

Back to top Go down

Northern Front - Gameplay Empty Re: Northern Front - Gameplay

Post by Shinigami02 Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:12 pm

"Say again?" The officer, Anna Smith, says into her radio, pulling her cruiser onto the shoulder of the road. "Did you say swallowed? Did they give a location?"
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Dennis stares at the clock next to his bed. It read 10:12. He had of course been awake all night. He didn’t really sleep anymore, but he still at least liked to relax in bed for a while most nights. He was starting to feel a bit restless though, and by this time he usually started on getting something ready to eat. He would always be hungry either way, but at least he could take some of the edge off.

As he walks out of his room, he gives a glance over to his couch and sees that Maggie is still there, where she had fallen asleep last night. She can be such a pain to wake up in the morning, but Dennis does know one reliable method. He walks over and rolls her off the couch. A little rude, but it wouldn’t be the first time he’s had to wake her this way. ”Hey I’m making breakfast. Since you’re still here, I figured i’d Ask if you want some.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Maggie hits the ground with a thump. "Uggghh..." she groans loudly, still in a half-asleep state of delirium "Yeah... yeah, breakfast... totally getting up..."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakeWrangler Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:17 pm

The police radio buzzes on again in response. The dispatcher lacks confidence in their voice, likely due to the strange circumstances and scarcity of 911 calls in Barndock.

"Yeah, uh... They're by the edge of the forest. Southwest side, near a trail entrance. Says they're not in immediate danger, but... Stay safe, and make sure they're alright."

SnakeWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:20 pm

Dennis nods and walks over toward the kitchen, but the scent of eggs and sound of cooking hits him as he gets close. There he sees Steph already cooking. ”Oh right. I guess it makes sense you’d still be here if Maggie is. Did you learn how to avoid burning the eggs since last time?”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Anna nods to herself. "I'll go check it out," She says into the radio, before flipping on the lights and siren and pulling back onto the road.
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsubasa Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:05 pm

A young woman wakes up from a bizarre dream with a start, in a small camper van. She takes a second to calm her breathing, before leaning down the side of the sofa she's sleeping on, hurriedly grabbing a thick black notebook (a sticker on the front names it as "Dreams, File 2") and a sharp pencil. Sitting up, she immediately flicks through around a third of the book, and starts writing down the contents of her dream on a fresh page.

Dream 257
-Dark swamp. Lots of trees.
-Frogs. Extremely loud.
-Large shape rises out of swamp. Has eyes. Frogs go quiet.
-Large shape croaks, likely another frog. Launches something at me, I wake up.
-Strange feeling of importance and closeness. Possibly happening soon. Discuss with Dallas?

Finished, she leans back, still vaguely on edge. Letting out a sigh, she gets up, and begins doing some stretches to start the day.
Tsubasa
Tsubasa

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:18 pm

"I don't know what you're talking about," Stefania says in a slightly singsongy voice, standing over a slightly-smoking stove wearing an apron over her clothes and her long, red-gold hair pulled back in a loose ponytail. "And I didn't make eggs this morning, I made cinnamon-apple French toast. Just, ah, go easy on the apples," she adds as she fixes herself a plate. "You were out, so I had to reconsititute some dried fruit of knowledge. Let Maggie know, too, I wouldn't want her to go blind or comatose just eating breakfast."

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:37 pm

”You know I don’t sleep, right?” Dennis asks as he grabs two plates but notably does not grab any of the “apples”. ”You could have just gone to the store and I’d have let you back in.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:40 pm

"Ah yes, of course," Steph says through a mouthful of bread. "The store that's definitely open at 6:45 AM in the Alaska town with one major road."

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:26 pm

”It took you almost three hours to make this?” Dennis quips with some amount of surprise. He doesn’t wait for the answer before heading right back to the couch and handing Maggie her plate. He proceeds to very quickly gulp down his own plate. ”For you. Courtesy of Steph.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:37 pm

Maggie sits up and gladly takes the plate. "That angel is a Goddess. Tell her those exact words with the capital G, it'll be funny." She then promptly starts shoveling it into her mouth.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:44 pm

”Tell her yourself,” Dennis says as he plasters himself onto the couch. The couch notably pushes up on Maggie’s side for a moment as he crashes down.”I’m not the messenger of your dickery.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:46 pm

"Yeah," Maggie says around a bite of french toast. "But you can probably take a hit from her fancy angel sword, and I don't fancy being smited today. Smoted? Smote? Eh whatever."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:49 pm

”As if that’s ever stopped you before,” Dennis chides. He picks up the remote and a controller to start up a game of Mario Kart. ”What was it again you were shouting at me during my exorcism?”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:12 pm

"I think I remember hearing it was something in the neighborhood of 'get out of this poor boy's soul, you spooky--'" Instead of the last word, Steph's voice comes out as a brief blast of heavenly chorus, causing Dennis and Maggie to jump and flinch as she perches, cross-legged on the couch and picks up a controller.

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Dallas rises to another day, their alarm blaring its call at 8 AM sharp. They scrabble for the off button amid a few empty cans of Rolling Rock from the night before, eventually clicking the alarm off and slapping themselves awake. The inside of their camper is sequestered off: Maialen rooming with them meant that there needed to be accommodations made for both of their privacy. An out-of-place blackout curtain cordoned off the small area with the bedroom and the rest of the camper, where Maialen got to use their couch for sleeping. Dallas sniffed the air, and shook their head. A quick spray down with some cheap body spray to hide the scent of liquor, and they could let themselves into Anna's place for her shower again. They dress themself: a halfway-done-up flannel shirt, a pair of wranglers, and flip-flops. The cold wouldn't bother them if they were walking about 5 feet, so they let themselves out their back door to avoid bothering Maialen.

They do that. The shower is brief, and within about 15 minutes, Dallas is put together to wander around Barndock in search of trouble. The flip-flops have been replaced with sturdy boots, the flannel shirt has been done up, and they've added sunglasses to the attire as well. Also, a revolver is strapped to their chest underneath a dusky brown leather jacket. Only now that they've gotten put together do they approach Maialen's side of the camper, noting her doing stretches. "Mornin'," they greet, all smiles, positioning themselves nearby. "Did ya sleep well?"
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 pm

"I think it was even more crude than that, but you've got the jist," Dennis replies. He tosses a controller to Maggie and starts up the game. "Remember, Steph. If you lose, breathe. Do not pull the controller apart. Or throw the controller. Or crush the controller. Or... well, just please don't break another controller.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsubasa Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Maialen shrugs, still doing her morning routine. "The sleep itself was good, but waking up with another dream wasn't the best." She starts doing some vigorous lunges, using the first one to gesture over at the open notebook on the table. "Something about frogs and a swamp this time. Possibly a warning about a monster attack, I guess? Go and take a look, if you're so inclined."
Tsubasa
Tsubasa

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 pm

"Sure, whatever," Steph says, without looking away from the TV, then frowns, scrolling through the character menu. "Where's Palutena? I want to be Palutena."

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Maggie snickers as she locks in Peach. "Wrong game, babe."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 pm

"Yeah this one is Mario characters only," Dennis notes as he picks Luigi. "Palutena is from Kid Icarus"
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Dallas thumbs to the latest entry in the journal, humming to themself and helping themself to another can of Rolling Rock while they were up anyways. A click and pop and they begin again to drink. "Mighty strange. Dunno whereabouts that kind of a place would be in a town like this, but we can start pokin' around. Yer thinkin' this one is prophetic, right?"
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsubasa Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Maialen finishes up her lunges, and nods. "It's possible I'm wrong and it's not indicative of anything local, or there's some deeper meaning, but.... it seems too cut-and-dry as is." She starts getting some clothes together, whilst they talk. "I'm going take a quick shower first. Do you want to get a coffee over at Arnold's after, then see if anything's been reported in town?"
Tsubasa
Tsubasa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next