Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dauntless

5 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Dauntless - Page 28 Empty Re: The Dauntless

Post by lapis-lazily Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm

On one of the early days of the party's rebuilding efforts, Antoinette takes some time to go hunting with Fleur in the middle of the day. As she walks with the warg puppy through the woods, she looks to her. "Fleur, why do we kill?"
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 am

"For food. To protect," Fleur recites, although it's clear they're mostly just words to her right now. "... for fun if they deserve it?"
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm

"Practiced, but not quite there yet on pretending to care," Antoinette replies. "I can't blame you for your response though. By nature you are a predator. You need meat to survive, and you hunt for that meat so you need incentives to hunt. Biologically you are inclined to kill. But as a warg, that biological inclination is stronger. You not only have a natural drive to hunt, your brain is developed to reward you for it. It's not just for food, it is fun because your brain tells you it is. But you also do have greater intelligence than most other predators. You have the capacity for reason and speech. It is through logic and reason that I, and you as well, can discern for ourselves when an urge to kill is wrong."
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri May 29, 2020 9:03 pm

After a day of organizing a work team for the battlements, on the third day, Dorrak first picks up and changed into his new professional outfit, appreciating the flexibility while also admiring how well it suits him. He thanks the tailor and promises to come back whenever he needs something new, then heads to Posanti Bros for the meeting he got the outfit for to begin with.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sat May 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Fleur wags her tail and cocks her head. "... I don't get it."

Posandi Bros., like Tuskhead, is on the river, though much further upstream. They similarly have a large warehouse, but their office building is much larger and not a small amount more ostentatious. Inside, a strange looking secretary-half-elven, but with red skin, eyes of burnt gold and a small pair of goat's horns perched on his brow-is taking down notes when Dorrak enters.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sat May 30, 2020 4:10 pm

”Excuse me,” Dorrak speaks up a moment after walking in. ”I’d like to speak with Ms. Lang about an expansive project, if she’s available.”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sat May 30, 2020 5:20 pm

The tiefling glances up at Dorrak, gives him a quick up-and-down glance, and nods almost imperceptibly. "Ms. Lang is a busy woman, but I'll see if she can spare a few minutes. Please wait here." He gets up and heads through a door to the back. A few minutes later, he returns and holds the door open. "Ms. Lang will see you now. Her office is the last door on the right."

A hallway lined with doors extends to the back of the building. Every door has a placard, save for the one on the back wall, which has "Quentino Posandi, Owner" written in fancy lettering. True to the secretary's word, the last door on the right has Amara Lang, CEO on its placard, and the door is slightly ajar. Inside is a beautiful Chelaxian woman with dark hair tied in an elaborate bun, seated perfectly straight behind a desk with her hands folded atop one another. She greets Dorrak with a pleasant smile. "Mr. Hakdarson, yes? Please, have a seat."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sat May 30, 2020 5:38 pm

”Of course,” Dorrak replies to the secretary with a short nod, waiting patiently for his return. He didn’t like being judged by appearance alone, but it made him all the more glad that he spent the money with the tailor. On the secretary’s return, he gives a grateful nod and proceeds into the office.

”A pleasure to meet you, Ms. Lang,” Dorrak replies to the businesswoman, taking the indicated seat and returning the smile. ”I’ll be brief, out of respect for your time. I came here hoping to contract your company’s expertise to perform extensive renovations and repairs to the interior of Citadel Altaerin. My adventuring party came into ownership of it a few days ago.”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:02 pm

"I see," Ms. Lang says, giving Dorrak another evaluating look. "It had come to my attention that Hellknight Hill was under new ownership, but my understanding was that you had already procured the services of a... less reputable stonemasonry group for that job."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:26 pm

"We have extensive work that needs to be done, enough for a month's work for two crews. We did hire Tuskhead Stoneworking to reconstruct the battlements. We would like to hire you to do the interior stonework. You wouldn't have to work with Mr. Axebane, or even on the same parts. Your projects would be unrelated, but on the same building," Dorrak explains calmly, holding her gaze.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:58 pm

"I see." Ms. Lang folds her hands together for a moment, purses her lips, and stands, turning to look out the window. "I understand, given the size of the task, that two contractors will give you a better timeframe than one. However, have you given consideration to the quality of service you're seeking? Posandi Bros. is the oldest stonemasonry in Breachill for a reason. Startups have come and gone to try and compete with us, and every single one has failed to live up to the standards we've set for this town. While I can't promise the speed with which hiring both companies would have your project done, it would be far superior quality."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 pm

”Allow me to be direct. I understand there is a personal feud between both the stoneworking companies in Breachhill. I’m not interested in it,” Dorrak replies bluntly. ”Even if I am convinced that Posandi Bros does the best work available, and I’m open to being convinced of that, I have already entered into an agreement with Mr. Axebane, and as a matter of personal principle I do not go back on my word. He has already promised to behave professionally and perform the job I hired him for even if I hire you to perform work concurrently. All I ask, if you’re willing to perform the interior renovations, is that you give me that same promise.”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:18 am

Ms. Lang purses her lips. "Fair enough, Mr. Hakdarson. We'll take on the job, and you can rest assured that my people will be courteous and professional. I'll have an inspector head to the citadel this afternoon, and you or a colleague can walk them through the work we'll be doing so we can get you an estimate."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am

Dorrak allows himself a small smile. ”I appreciate that. I’ll be happy to meet with your inspector and explain the project to them, and I look forward to seeing the finished project,” he replies, finally rising to his feet and extending a hand to shake.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Ms. Lang accepts Dorrak's handshake with an equally small, professional smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes (though those don't betray any negative emotion either). "Quite. I look forward to working with you."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm

After a brief goodbye to the group members still in the Citadel, Django throws his cloak around his shoulders and makes his way to the Dreamhouse. Stepping into the front doors, he strides over to an acolyte and says, "Greetings, Brother. Is Father Carondil currently occupied?"

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:58 pm

The acolyte, a young gnome, nods. "He's taking a shift at Lamond's Lament. He should be back sometime after dinner, if you wish to wait."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Django cocks his head quizzically. "Sorry, Lamond's Lament?"

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:04 pm

"It's the local soup kitchen," the acolyte replies. "The Father volunteers there regularly."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 pm

"Oh, that's wonderful," he says, smiling broadly. "Maybe I'll swing down there and see if they could use an extra set of hands then, could you point me toward the place?"

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:16 pm

The acolyte directs you to the north side of town. A squat, somewhat rundown building nestled in a small neighborhood.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Stepping into the soup kitchen, Django bows his head respectfully to Father Carondil before moving toward the counter with a wave and a friendly smile to the woman running the place. "Good afternoon, ma'am, I'm Brother Django Lovell, I'm new to town and I'd like to offer my time if you need volunteers."

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:23 am

The stocky blonde woman behind the counter flits about from place to place, only barely glancing at Django. "Aprons are in the back, watch the soup, make sure it doesn't boil over and in fifteen minutes take it off the heat and bring it up here, and Marc what the fuck are you doing to my mutton!" She shrieks this last bit as she storms to the back of the open kitchen and begins chewing out the young man at the meat station.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by AgreeableChap Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:51 pm

"Can do," Django mumbles, eyes wide and hair still a little blown back, before making his way to the kitchen, shrugging off his robe and throwing an apron over his vestments. "Poor Marc, huh?" he says with slightly-transparent gusto to another volunteer who's currently tipping chopped spinach into a huge soup pot as he walks up, grabs a ladle and gives the pot a stir.

AgreeableChap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:25 pm

The volunteer grins. "Ah, we're all used to it here," he says as he turns back to his station and begins dicing garlic. "Renata's an... interesting person, but it lets us make the most of what donations we can get, our little stipend and a staff of volunteers who don't know a spring onion from a leek."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next