Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond the Vast

5 posters

Go down

Beyond the Vast Empty Beyond the Vast

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Beyond the Vast CcH2pXu
I stole the name from Ferret and I am not apologizing.

So those who've played games with me before know that my interests wax and wane with a high frequency. It can be hard for me to stick to one campaign for very long. But what if I took that energy and harnessed it toward something that is constantly changing? It just so happens that an infinite cosmos can provide me with almost any setting I can think of. It's very hard to think of a cool adventure I can't do in such context. But I'm going to be throwing in even more of a twist than that. If you've never heard of a West Marches style game before, now's a good time to read up on that. If you'd prefer just the short version, here's the idea:

1) There is no regular time: every session is scheduled by the players on the fly.

2) There is no regular party: each game has different players drawn from a larger pool.

3) There is no regular plot: The players decide where to go and what to do. It is a sandbox game in the sense that’s now used to describe video games like Grand Theft Auto, minus the missions. There is no mysterious old man sending you on quests. No overarching plot, just an overarching environment.

So how am I applying this to Starfinder? Well you guys are going to be a large group of Starfinders who have established a forward operating base in a new galaxy. You had to go through Cryo-Sleep to get here and are basically colonists. Your new forward operating base will slowly expand into a town, and you will have a large supply of colonists to draw new characters from should you die or join late. Your goal is simple, expand your colony and explore your new surroundings. Who knows what you'll find?

This is gonna be run, obviously, very differently than normal. For one, it's gonna be voice games because that's easier to do short digestible adventures with. I may be able to swing a forum game or two eventually, but for now I'm sticking with voice. Characters all start at level 1 with expected gear. I will be actually using experience. Crazy, I know, but when players all can play at any time, difference in levels is to be expected. The world is not balanced to you. It is set in its balance and if you head in the wrong direction you will need to learn how to recognize a danger greater than you can deal with. In general things closer to your base will be easier, but do not rely on this to judge danger levels. There will be player death, I will not fudge dice. You will live with your mistakes and if you die, you make a new level 1. But the other players can totally cannibalize your gear.

If you're interested, literally just reply. Characters aren't super important here so I'm not doing any applications. Have fun exploring.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Beyond the Vast Empty Re: Beyond the Vast

Post by Eagleheart Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Miles II - crunch:

Drone:

Fluff:

Last edited by Nimbostratus on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Eagleheart
Eagleheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi I like playing games.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by ManOfTroy Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:36 am

I was told I am being made to join this. Booyah.

ManOfTroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:42 am

Thank the Gods I at least kinda figured out Voice. Are Playtest classes allowed or no?

---

Darren Smith:

Last edited by Shinigami02 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:13 pm

They are.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content