Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dauntless IV: Fury Road

4 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The Dauntless IV: Fury Road - Page 12 Empty Re: The Dauntless IV: Fury Road

Post by Shinigami02 Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 am

Quite disconcerted, Suki takes the other keys and tries each of the other still-standing Gates. When none of them work she turns, frustrated, towards the others. "It would appear our Gate network is down, and I don't think this one can be fixed in just a month. Hopefully some help from Desna can get us there quickly?" She suggests, looking plaintively towards Django.
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Django nods and weaves a second miracle. In a burst of blue butterflies, you all disappear from Alseta's Ring and directly into Mengkare's cave. The dragon, Jonivar, Inizra and Emaliza seem to have gathered, and in fact you appear directly on top of a game of cards between Jonivar and Emaliza (one which, based on the distribution of tokens, Emaliza had been destroying him in). The four of them are startled by your appearane, though both Mengkare and Emaliza recover their composure quickly.

"How did you..." Inizra says slowly. "I thought you were in the portals. What happened? Did you do it?"
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:16 pm

"We did it. The aspect of Dahak's dead," Dorrak confirms, still covered in blood, most of it his own. "The portals didn't work anymore after we finished."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:32 pm

”We obviously haven’t had time for serious analysis, but I would not be surprised if the portals never work again,” Antoinette adds. ”The manifestation was thoroughly integrated into the deep portal network. It caused all sorts of strange apparitions to appear.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:51 am

"Well never is a strong word, but yes, they will likely be out of commission for quite a while," Suki agrees. "The Cinderclaw was likely linked with the base power source of the network."
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 pm

"I had a thought that this might happen," Emaliza muses. "After ten thousand years of his essence being so entwined with the Ring, it's unsurprising that the whole thing collapsed once it was gone." Mengkare lets out a deep sigh.

"I shall assign Hermea's most skilled arcane engineers to you, young one," he says to Suki. "And you may wish to seek more allies. Replicating the feats of Candlaron will not be simple." Despite the victorious air in the cavern, the elder wyrm seems melancholy.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 pm

"Speaking of Hermea," Dorrak looks between Mengkare, Emaliza, and Inizra, "What will it become now?"

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:52 am

Inizra and Emaliza both look at Mengkare, knowing that they don't actually have a real say in that question without his input. Mengkare lets out a light snort.

"I suppose, with my Glorious Endeavor defunct, I no longer have a purpose of my own with the people of Promise. With my own judgment has been proven clearly suspect besides, my place as Glorious Master is neither necessary nor, in fact, wise." He closes his eyes, and a hum of power emanates from him, one that you can distinctly feel but the two Hermean citizens here can clearly feel more strongly.

"What..." Iniza lets out a soft gasp, one of relief as though a pressure has been lifted from her. "What did you just do, Lord Mengkare?"

"I have released the bonds of the Contract of Citizenship," he replies, moving to settle on a pile of gold. "It is still a magical declaration of loyalty to Hermea, but not to me. I hereby formally retire. I shall live out the rest of my days in this cave, here to offer my wisdom to anyone who wishes it, but I shall no longer enforce it upon others. Inizra, Emaliza, Jonivar, I shall leave it to you to inform the citizens, as much or as little as you deem necessary."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 am

Antoinette looks contemplative for a moment. She looks up to the much larger dragon before her. ”Mengkare, I have never been the best with words. There is something I wish for you to see though. Would you be willing to assume your human form and teleport with me to Kintargo? The only way I know to show you this must be cast by a certain acquaintance there, or one of her students. It is a spell that could allow me to easily share with you a memory that I think you must see.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Mengkare nods. "I've nothing better to do, and I do find myself curious about the events that took place in the network. Very well." Mengkare's form shimmers and fades away, leaving only the familiar figure of Lamond Breachton standing where it was only a moment ago, identical to the statue that stands in the center of Breachill. He grasps Antoinette's shoulder and the pair of you vanish in blue light. You reappear on a hill overlooking Kintargo, concealed from view of the city. "I would recommend your own human form here, child."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 pm

Antoinette blinks a few times and assumes her human form as suggested. "I was planning to. I just didn't think you were going to bring us here immediately. Well enough though. We're heading to Lady Docur's School for Girls."

Antoinette then begins walking toward the town. Soon enough she has led Mengkare to the edifice of the school. She walks up to the visitor's entrance and pulls the silver chord. A bell sound can be faintly heard from behind the doorway.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:58 pm

A different girl from the one who answered the door the last few times you visited, nearly half a year ago now, catlike eyes the only indication that this she isn't entirely human. "You would be... Lady Antoinette, correct?"
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 pm

"Yes, Lady Antoinette. This is my ally Lamond. We would like to speak Lady Docur, if that is possible," Antoinette replies.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:14 pm

After Antoinette leaves, Dorrak takes a moment to let the scale of that decision sink in. "It seems the fate of Hermea's being left in your hands now. It's quite a responsibility, but, in my view, also an opportunity to have it live up to its potential."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:01 pm

The girl nods and leads you to the parlor. Your wait is nearly an hour this time, but eventually Lady Docur comes to meet with you. "Ah, Lady Antoinette. And Lord Mengkare, this is a surprise!" Mengkare looks genuinely shocked, possibly for the first time since you've met him, and she lets out a dry chuckle. "After that business with the Scarlet Triad last year I did some digging. The least I could claim is knowing the human form of its founding dragon on site. So, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

-----

Inizra looks introspective while Emaliza has a small smirk on her face.

"It will be quite the challenge," the latter says. "Reforming a mostly benevolent dictatorship into self-governance, but I look forward to the process."

"Honestly it might not be as much work as you'd think," Inizra says slowly. "The Council of Enlightenment were already running most of the day to day matters. Everything Mengkare had a personal hand in were the things only necessary for the Glorious Endeavor. With some minor reforms to pick up those few things and adjust the laws for the new freedoms offered to the citizens, I don't imagine it will be a difficult transition... although we do still need to replace Ingnovim."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:15 pm

Antoinette also looks shocked for a moment before laughing a bit. "I have need of a spell, the one your academy keeps pretty close to its chest. I need to share some memories with Mengkare, and it's the most efficient way to do so."
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Dorrak nods slowly at both of those comments. "Hermea's full of talented people, continuity of government, I suspect, will be the least of your challenges. How much do you plan to tell the citizens about the Glorious Endeavour?"

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm

"Easy enough," Lady Docur replies. She steps forward and places a finger on each of Antoinette and Mengkare's foreheads, ignoring the gold dragon's entirely dignified squawk of protest. "Simply think of the memory you wish to share. Empty your mind of all other thoughts. And embrace eternity." Her black eyes turn white, and your minds become one for a brief moment in time.

------

"Nothing," both women say simultaneously, glancing at each other.

"The worst possible thing we could do during this transition is cause unrest," Inizra continues. "If we tell them, it will cause our entire society to crumble. The people might deserve to know what they were being led to, but it would also destroy them."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:13 pm

Antoinette feels a brief sensation as though being shunted from her physical self. Her mind and thoughts fill her vision as she tries to put together the memories she wishes to show Mengkare. The events within the portal network begin playing out like a flashing photo reel. The meeting with a memory of its creator, the battles with various monsters from the past, and then the moment of meeting the young representation of Mengkare. The flash of memories slows here, showing every moment in greater detail. The whole scene plays out once more, and Mengkare becomes privy to the conversation between the Dauntless and his emotions captured within the portal nexus. Then time speeds up once more as the finale to the adventure plays out and the manifestation of Dahak is defeated.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm

Dorrak frowns and nods slowly. "I can see why you'd make that choice," he replies, deciding to keep his own reservations with that decision private. "I hope that it goes smoothly and that Promise can live up to its name going forward."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 pm

As the vision fades, Mengkare blinks heavily, and Antoinette thinks that if fire-aspected dragons weren't incapable of crying (even in their human forms) he would be blinking back tears. "... thank you for showing me that, child." The old man slowly nods. He seems unwilling to speak further on the subject, but his gratitude is sincere.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:01 pm

Antoinette nods solemnly then turns to Lady Docur. "That's all we needed. Thank you very much for your hospitality. Johanna and Allison are doing very well, by the way. Something tells me you already knew that, but I might as well affirm it. I'm sure you've learned some other things too. You understand the value of discretion, though, so I won't bother trying to pry into just how much you know."

lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Lady Docur nods. "Of course. Your many secrets are safe with me, Lady Antoinette. Now, if that was everything you are of course more than welcome to stay for a while, perhaps give a guest lecture if either of you would be interested, but I must attend to other matters. Good day." She then gives a sweeping bow before exiting the room.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Antoinette looks back to Mengkare. "Shall we return to Promise?"
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:28 pm

Mengkare nods, and the two of you blink out of existence, returning not to Mengkare's lair but to the center of the Golden Citadel.
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next