Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War for the Crown Gameplay

+3
maswoon
Ferret
Aviana
7 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

War for the Crown Gameplay - Page 40 Empty Re: War for the Crown Gameplay

Post by bloodrayne03 Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 pm

Josie giggles and says, "Once you can hit a target fifty times in a row, then you'll probably be ready for stunts like that."
bloodrayne03
bloodrayne03
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:21 pm

"Okay, so I'll start that in a couple weeks then!" Selli decides, dramatically underestimating how long it would take to master the bow.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Sun May 01, 2022 8:56 pm

Oathday, around 9:00 AM

Two mornings after Adelaide's conversation with Momo, she receives a tap on her shoulder from behind as she studies. It's Martella, dressed in her pragmatic alchemist's cloak. "Adelaide. When's the last time you slept? I know for a fact it wasn't last night."

Adelaide is intently focused on scribing for her alchemy book and doesn't notice Martella's approach. "Oh, good morning!" she greets her, sipping coffee while considering the question. "Mmmm, Sunday evening, perhaps? I've been able to get so much done at night, it's very peaceful in the library then."

"I'm sure it is," Martella comments with a little amusement, pulling out a seat across from Adelaide. "Let me guess. You're using alchemy to ward off the ill effects of lacking sleep? Lesser restoration? Probably needing, or soon to need, increasing amounts of it every day?"

"I'm not surprised you know that trick already," Adelaide comments with a grin. "The first couple of days, I seemed fine without any alchemy, actually, though I have my usual standbys for focusing on writing or movement or what have you. Then this morning I used some vials of lesser restoration to freshen my mind, and it seems to work perfectly so far." She gestures back to the spell she's currently scribing. "This will be the twelfth formula I've worked on this week, having the extra hours has been tremendous for extra learning. I'll also be able to finish the last batch of dodger's draught that Momo requested this afternoon, after making quite a few things this week, I've made quite a bit of headway on some policy research that I imagine the princess will find interesting or useful, I've never been quite so up to date on my correspondence, and it may be my imagination, but I feel my fencing has never been quite so sharp either. Life-changing, to get so much time back!"

"The reason I know about it is because my half-brother did it. He'd probably still be doing it if I let him have access to his wands, but there's zero chance he's allowed anywhere near magic right now," Martella explains. "I did it myself back at Sinora when I needed to study late as well." She lets out a deep breath. "Word of advice? Don't make a habit of it. You'll probably know how to handle the direct effects fine, but it's not healthy in the long term. Your mind needs the break that sleep provides. Everyone reacts differently to not having it. Bartelby and I both tend to get obsessive and paranoid, for example."

"Hm, I've always felt my mind never appreciated being forced to stop," Adelaide comments, frowning. "Besides, isn't one of the purposes of alchemy or magic or such to get beyond such limits? Is it that this particular option doesn't quite get one far enough?"

"It is. My understanding is there may be items that push your body past its needs for regular sleep, but this solution only repairs and slows the damage," Martella explains. "Restorative magic doesn't make it that the harm never happened. A wound may still leave a scar, for example. The same idea applies to effects to your mind."

Adelaide hums. "Still, there's no way no one has thought of such a thing before. I should look into magic items that synthesize the effects of sleep without needing to spend time asleep." She scrawls a note to this effect on a piece of scratch paper, underlining three times. "I know you and I and many around us are high-achieving, to say the least; I simply doubt that we're trendsetters in this particular fashion. Imagine restoring energy at the same rate as using it - you'd be virtually unstoppable and remarkably efficient."

"It would be quite the feat. I'd look into what some of the legendary wizards did in their youth as a starting point. I think the best tact would be seeking out something that removes the need for sleep at the source, rather than restoring your energy, personally," Martella suggests. "That gets around the issue of having any damage that needs repairing to begin with."

"Well yes, that's what I intended to convey in a different way," Adelaide acknowledges with a laugh. "If energy is being restored at an equal pace to use, then that removes the need for sleep. But I suppose I'm splitting hairs, regardless." She twirls her pen for a moment before sighing. "How long does this option stay sustainable for, though? I was rather looking forward to continuing the pace at which I've been working."

"If you're lucky, you have a week before you pass out at your desk in the middle of whatever you're doing," Martella predicts. "Which I would prefer doesn't happen while you're performing alchemy, for obvious reasons," she gives a wry smirk. "But you won't be at your mental best well before then. I'd ask as both a friend and someone with an interest in your mind being as sharp as possible that you try to sleep every other night please. That way if anything happens that we need you urgently you'll be at 100%."

Adelaide crosses her arms. "I suppose from one perspective, that's a huge increase in efficiency from sleeping every night, but from another perspective, it's a sharp decrease in efficiency from the last few days." She adds a fourth underline to her note and sighs. "I respect your experience and judgement, and I'll sleep tonight. This is just disappointing, that's all. I'll have to rework my plan for the next few days as well..."

"I'm sure you'll figure out a way to get everything you need doing done," Martella replies with a small smile. "Oh, also, I did stop by for another reason. Princess Eutropia saw you practicing your fencing yesterday and would like to join you tomorrow morning for practice, if you don't mind. She says she's been cooped up in libraries and conference rooms too long," she adds the last with a short laugh. "A common complaint from Her Highness."

"She's always welcome to join!" Adelaide answers warmly, mentally calculating the most reasonable way to make herself presentable for such an occasion.

"I'll let her know. She'll probably look to spar a little. Expect to lose," Martella adds the last with a wink then heads off towards her own office/lab.

"Yes, I figured," Adelaide acknowledged with a laugh before returning to her formula scribing.
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

https://critical-scumble.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40