Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shattered Star

+2
Ferret
Shinigami02
6 posters

Page 27 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next

Go down

Shattered Star - Page 27 Empty Re: Shattered Star

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Meliora looks at the stack of papers, a bit daunted. "Uhm... Maybe if you could just summarize it to me, that'd be great?" she asks hopefully.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 pm

"...I suppose," Cade shrugs, undoing the binder's strap and shuffling through his notes.  From Meliora's perspective, she can see the notes slowly become terser and less poetic as Cade flips further down.  "...So, how is everything outside?" Cade asks absently as he shuffles through the paper, flipping back and forth as he double-checks his writing.
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:59 pm

"I haven't really checked on the others," Meliora says, twirling a strand of hair with concern. "Maybe I should, but..." she gives a slight shiver. "Anyways, I just thought I'd come in here and see how things are going with you."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Cade gives a small huff at that.  "I suppose we should, in time.  Thankfully, however," he replies, "there is not much excitement to be found here.  Just old paintings and portraits and statues covered in cobwebs.  Not much here for those expecting adventure, like last time."  Cade pauses awkwardly as he fingers through a few more pages, then shuts the binder in confirmation.

"In summary, most of the murals and statues found within the Crow," he begins, "are depictions of Alaznist, whom I've managed to tentatively confirm as the previous owner of the Crow.  The only link I could find would be the depiction of the murder of Thybidos, something which only a few select people of power would want to immortalize.  Apart from that breakthrough," he continues, offhandedly motioning upwards, "it was more of the same throughout; statues of Alaznist, a handful of murals displaying elemental prowess, impressions of threats to trespassers--nothing far out of the ordinary."

"Of course, I made mention of the wrathspawn," he notes with a twinge of concern, "which further link Alaznist to the Crow, but in a far more dubious and revolting way.  And on, and on, until we reach this room; the mural of the Irespan."  Cade then makes a half-hearted sweeping motion around the room as he says this.  "Of which I was just about to finish my observation.  ...Frankly," the wizard admits with a sigh, "I've spent the better part of my time here describing art pieces and their wear than any significant historical progress..."

Last edited by Sawblader on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 pm

"Still, that's important work that needs to be done, right?" Meliora says, trying to lift Cade's spirits up. "It sounds like you're just making the foundation for even greater discoveries later on!"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Cade blinks at Meliora's claim, then affords himself a soft chuckle.  "True," he nods in agreement.  "A breakthrough is only possible when one has a firm foundation to base oneself on.  As insignificant as these observations may seem," Cade muses, holding up his heavy binder, "I'm certain that they may one day hold the key to some great arcane mystery.  Or," he shrugs, setting the binder down onto a nearby decrepit chair, "they could be nothing but footnotes.  Such is history."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 pm

"Even if they're only footnotes, some might be used by you or other people to make connections that become the bigger discoveries, right?" Meliora says with a smile. "Is there anything I can do to help you with the research here?"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:57 pm

"...Well," Cade hesitates, glancing at the strange device on the opposite wall.  "...No, no I believe I have enough for now.  These observations should be ample reference for a simple academic report on the Crow.  All that's left is to visit the Founder's Museum," he explains, lifting his binder back up, "then I can--"  As Cade shifts the binder upright, a sheet of paper manages to slip out and dances through the still, musty air.  The page soon settles near Meliora's feet, its written side face down against the stone.
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 pm

"I got it!" Meliora says, bending at the knees to pick up the piece of paper.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Meliora flips the piece of paper over and is met with a strange, roughly compass-like image on the other side.  Strange letters adorn the tips of the compass, and around the image are scrawled notations and half-finished sentences.  "...Ah, yes," Cade explains as he sees the note.  "I found that near the cages that held the wrathspawn.  It was etched into the wall, you see, and it appeared to be some sort of arcane cipher."  Pointing to one of his notations, Cade explains further "I've managed to decrypt fragments of the code, but it seems to have another layer of encryption.  As it was crudely drawn onto the wall of a cell," the wizard sighs, "I doubt I'll be able to find the missing cipher."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm

"It looks important," Meliora mentions, studying the image. "Maybe we'll find more about the symbols later,"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:13 pm

"Hopefully so," Cade agrees as he retrieves his half-decoded cipher.  "There are still a few rooms that I have yet to fully investigate, however" he admits.  "I was in the process of investigating this room, with the only remaining rooms being the alcove that held Flynt's associates captive, and..." Cade hesitates to finish his statement, "...the final room."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:14 pm

"Oh," Meliora says, her voice getting small. "Uhm, well, is there anything I can do to help you out here?"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 pm

"...Perhaps you could investigate this room with me as I go over it?" Cade suggests, clearly avoiding the alternative.  "I had hoped that this room, with the wall covered in a fairly complex mural, might have a clue, however I believe my work and stay here has strained my eyes.  I might have missed something during my initial observations."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 pm

"Mhm, sure, just tell me what I'm looking for," Meliora says, eager to avoid the topic of the other room.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:33 pm

"Something akin to this pattern," Cade instructs, pointing to the center of the compass-like symbol in his notes.  In the center is what appears to be an angular rendition of a tongue of flame inside a octagon.  On the octagon's corners are jagged spikes jutting outwards, reminiscent of forks of lightning.  Adorning the jagged lines are the arcane symbols Cade mentioned, each with lines and footnotes surrounding them--evidently Cade's handiwork from his attempt to decode them.  "It might be similar to this image, or completely removed in similarity," he explains, "but we should be looking for symbols arranged in irregular intervals around a central icon."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:41 pm

The two spend some time searching before Meliora gives a little exclamation of surprise. "Oh! Cade, is this it? It looks like it's been covered up by a lot of paint, but I think it's it, here!" she says, pointing near a rendition of the woman's face carved into the mountain.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Nearing the wall, Cade squints hard as he investigate where Meliora is pointing.  "Now where is--aha!" Cade exclaims, noticing the carving in the wall.  A roughly-hewn skull stands in the center of a swirling whirlpool cleverly hidden by the cresting waves of the mural, the lines of the vortex irregular and bulbous along their lengths.  In place of jagged bolts of lightning are eight meticulously-carved arms of geometric patterns, each arm identical to the other.  Adorning the arms, much like the bolts of the previous image, are indecipherable symbols and letters, each of which Cade eagerly sets about recording.  "This should... do it," Cade murmurs as he copies the icon into his notes.  "Roughly half of the phrases I tested were indecipherable, so with luck... this should translate what's missing..."  

About five minute pass as Cade carefully records the symbol into his notes, and when he finishes he breathes a sigh of relief.  "Well now," he says with a smile as he goes over his work, "this should answer at least one mystery.  My thanks, Meliora," the wizard proclaims to the bard, "I fear this piece of history would have been forever lost without your timely arrival!"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:53 pm

"I'm sure you would've found it even if I wasn't here," Meliora says with a smile. "So what does it say?"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

"Of that I am unsure," Cade admits, producing the previous cipher.  "Not only must I decrypt what each symbol means, but I must test each iteration of symbol combinations with one another.  Simply having a combination produce readable text is not enough for most arcane encryption," he monologues, "but the text itself must be correct, which will take time to decipher correctly."  With a chuckle, he adds, "A handful of saffron and a mouthful of newts are not the same thing, after all!"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 am

"Oh, I see," Meliora says, a complete lie. "I wonder what it could mean! Do you think it connects to the shards we're finding?"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 am

"...Perhaps..." Cade wonders, tilting his head at the two drawings.  "These symbols have some basis in Thassilonian, after all..."  He mulls the possibility over for a few moments before setting it aside.  "In any case," Cade moves on, stowing the two drawings in a separate compartment, "I believe my work here is done for the time being.  Nothing more for me to do than cross-reference what I have with known records and compile my findings."  A low gurgle fills the air as Cade stows his papers into his bag, and the wizard looks sheepish.  "...And perhaps procure some food besides water and unflavored field rations."

Last edited by Sawblader on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:06 am

"Cade! Have you been holed up in here this entire time?" Meliora asks in surprise and concern.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:10 am

Cade fails to make eye contact with Meliora.  "I... I-I have been busy!" he retorts, flustered.  "It-It is as you said--'the foundation of greater discovery!'  Plus, I have ha-had translations to cross-reference!  Sketches to redo!"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 am

"And you couldn't even manage to make a trip back to the city just for some fresh groceries in weeks?" Meliora asks with a disapproving stare. "Your work is important, but so is eating well! Have you been sleeping enough at least?"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next