Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shattered Star

+2
Ferret
Shinigami02
6 posters

Page 29 of 36 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32 ... 36  Next

Go down

Shattered Star - Page 29 Empty Re: Shattered Star

Post by Sawblader Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:27 pm

"...We were just about to start my research..." Cade mutters indecisively.  "...But, I suppose, an extra hour or two means little given how long the artifacts have existed so far.  What exactly do you need assistance with?"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:31 pm

"I wish to learn as much as I can about this land. That is why I came to the library here after all," The woman replies. "But did you say you were researching for artifacts? I thought you matched the description I overheard, are you perhaps part of the team that was investigating the... Crow I believe it was called?"
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:58 pm

"Why... yes, we are," Cade affirms, a slight smile bubbling up.  "We've only recently returned from a preliminary investigation from there, which is why we're here in the Founder's Museum.  Unfortunately," he admits, "most of my recommendations about Magnimar's history are rather... dry.  Textbooks and historical documents, mostly.  Unless, Meliora," he asks, turning to the bard, "you would know of any other sources?"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:25 am

Meliora gives a little shrug at that. "Finding someone who knows about the history and getting them to talk about it to you is how I'd go about it, but they probably learned it from a book, so I think it all comes back to that."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:42 am

Cade mutters under his breath in agreement.  "And even then," Cade extrapolates, "most people would only recall recent events or the same tired legends."  Cade huffs in dissatisfaction.  "...Well, in that case," he forges on, "perhaps visiting the Founder's Museum was the correct decision.  Although I cannot guarantee any answers," he advises, turning towards the foreign woman, "I could recommend a volume or two on Varisian histories--as well as a tome for heroic ballads and faerie tales," he adds with a friendly smile to the daughter.
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:45 am

"We could find our books together," Meliora offers. "I was just about to go around looking for some books for Cade, it shouldn't be too much longer to add a few titles. And if you'd rather hear about heroic ballads and faerie tales from a person instead of a book, I'm pretty good at telling those," Meliora offers the ghostly little girl.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 am

The little girl's face absolutely lights up as she turns to her mother excitedly, almost bouncing in place. The woman ruffles the girl's hair while giving the duo a grateful smile. "That would be lovely. We'll help find the books you're looking for too, with all of us looking it should be that much easier."
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:16 am

"I was just about to ask the woman at the desk for some help, and Cade was going to find a table," Meliora says with a bright smile, offering the paper back to Cade for his additions on the subjects of history.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 am

Cade takes the paper back and retrieves a stick of graphite from his bag.  He scribbles the names of three more titles onto the margins, and adds a star next to the one meant for the child.  "Most of these should be in the same section concerning histories," Cade instructs, handing the paper back to Meliora, "though I would not be surprised if some were moved to the archive detailing works of art."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:34 am

"Great, that makes our work easier," Meliora says happily, turning back to the lady at the counter to get directions on where the section actually is, and on how the organization system for books works.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:28 pm

"Thank you so much," The woman says, giving Cade a half-bow. "Come on Eiko, you can help us check the high shelves," She says, giving a hand to the child, who squeals in delight as she's hoisted with surprising ease onto her mother's back in a piggy-back.
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:41 pm

As Meliora and their new acquaintances take their leave, Cade finds a wide, solid table that is not in use a bit further from the entrance.  Taking his seat, the historian retrieves his notes and begins to organize them upon the table while he waits for the two to return.
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 am

After getting instructions and directions from the woman at the desk, some written down so as to not be forgotten, Meliora turns to her new companions to go start finding the books. "I never got your names, by the way," she comments.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 am

"I am Aita Asami... er, I guess that would be the other way around in this culture wouldn't it? Asami Aito then. And this is my daughter Eiko," The woman says, with a smile. "My apologies for not properly introducing us earlier."

Last edited by Shinigami02 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:24 am

"Oh, it's alright," Meliora says with a smile. "I'm Meliora Sumner, and my companion was Cade Bennett, nice to meet you two," she says. "Now, let's go find those books!"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 am

A little while later the trio returns to Cade's claimed table, hands full of books. "I believe we found everything," Asami says, carefully laying her bundle of books on the table before letting Eiko down from her shoulders.
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 am

"Mhm! So how can I help now?" Meliora asks, setting down Cade's stack of books in front of him.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:17 am

Cade looks up from one of his notes, a stick of graphite pulling away mid-footnote.  "Ah, excellent!  Thank you both," Cade praises as he returns the sheet to his pack.  "Now, let me see..."  The scholar then begins sorting the two piles of books around the table as well, taking up much of the room around him.  "For now, there is not much left that I require assistance with," Cade replies, setting down a particularly hefty tome.  "Now that I have these resources, it is a simple matter of finding the desired references and matching their descriptions to mine own."  As Cade finishes his sorting, there are two books left untouched.

"Now, as tokens of my appreciation," he adds, reaching for the two volumes.  "This one," he offers to the foreign woman,  "is The History of Magnimar, City of Monuments.  Though it glosses over the finer details of events, this should be an excellent primer for learning more about Magnimar itself.  And, for the little one," he adds, offering a thinner book whose cover is embossed with gold lettering, "I recommend Ballads of the Bold and Brave.  A recent addition, too," Cade remarks, "as it was printed mere months after the unpleasantness in Korvosa concerning the former Queen.  I'm told the bards and scribes had a field day with that particular tale!"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 am

"Ooh, I remember that story! The fierce barbarian, wearing a necklace of skulls, wielding her greatsword with ease, the warrior mage who cut down her enemies in a flash of steel and lightning, the crafty kitsune thief, his blades always finding the weak spots of his foes, the gunslinger, who riddled all who stood before him with holes, the smell of gunsmoke following wherever he went, the devout priest of Pharasma, who protected them all from death, and! My favorite, the brave and bold painter turned bard, who lifted their spirits with her songs!" Meliora says excitedly.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:48 am

Eiko excitedly takes the offered book, casting one last glance between her mother and Meliora before running off to a corner where she collapses into a sitting position and starts reading. Asami chuckles, accepting the other book. "Thank you so much for the assistance. Clearly un has smiled upon us to stumble into such helpful people. Is there anything we can do to return the favor?"
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 am

"Think nothing of it," Cade replies with a smile.  "I love the histories, and helping others learn more about the world is thanks enough.  ...Although," Cade pauses, putting his forefinger and thumb to his lips.  "...you said you were a Pathfinder, did you not, Miss...?"
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 pm

"Mrs Aita, Ai- er, Asami Aita," Asumi says, again realizing introductions hadn't properly happened yet. "And yes, I am a Pathfinder, transferred from Goka in Tian Xia to here."

Last edited by Shinigami02 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:03 pm

"What brought you all the way over here?" Meliora chimes in to ask.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 pm

"My superiors back home said they wanted me to get some more field experience, something different from what could be offered back in Goka. And they felt that here in Varisia would be the most likely place to gain some truly unique field experience, especially after some of the events of the past several years. One of which if I'm not mistaken is the very story in the book my daughter is currently reading," Asami explains. "I agreed to the assignment readily, Goka holds some... hard memories for me," She adds.
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:17 pm

"...Ah, my condolences," Cade sympathizes, shifting in his seat.  "I do not claim to know what you are going through, but it must be difficult to leave home under such circumstances.  ...That being said," he adds, trying to bring the conversation back to a more optimistic mood, "perhaps there is something you can do in return--though I am not at all responsible for making the decision.  Have you met Lady Heidmarch yet, Mrs. Aita?  She owns the Pathfinder lodge in Magnimar and is the current benefactor in our group's quest."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 36 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32 ... 36  Next