Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shattered Star

+2
Ferret
Shinigami02
6 posters

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next

Go down

Shattered Star - Page 4 Empty Re: Shattered Star

Post by Sawblader Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Cade brings a hand up to adjust his glasses while masking his growing disdain for this "fortune-teller."  Not only is Zograthy clearly hiding his illegal activities behind this mockery of divination, but to flagrantly extort someone's--supposed--family member for more coin disturbs the scholar just as much.  Not sure which point he is more disgusted with, Cade stays near the back of the group and remains silent, silently hoping Erron and Anastasia learn whatever information they must so that they may quit this place.

Last edited by Sawblader on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by leonathemoth Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Ali steps back with Cade. Their breathing is artificial as if making great effort to remain calm.
leonathemoth
leonathemoth

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Zograthy takes the mirror and inspects it for a moment before smiling widely. ”This is more than sufficient. Cecilia was running with the Tower girls for a while, but she stopped reporting to them or anyone else a little while ago. Rumor is she went a bit mad before she disappeared. I’d bet it has to do with all the disappearances happening in Underbridge. A few people go missing each week there, but they’re all poor, of course, so the guard isn’t doing a thing. The situation among the Sczarni has gotten tense, and they’ve been much harder to reach lately. A predominant rumor is that Nidalese slavers are behind the disappearances, but I don’t put much stock in it. Either way, if you want to find her you should look in Underbridge and pick up the trail.”

With information in hand, the party does not linger in Zograthy's tent long. They set off toward Underbridge, gathering info from passerby on the way. In particular, they learn that the slavers are supposedly having a pickup at midnight in an old abandoned tavern called the Puffy Pelican at midnight. The tavern itself is located within the Dockway. When they arrive in Underbridge, some extra sleuthing gets them an interesting tidbit. Apparently the gang Cecilia was apart of, the Tower Girls, recently stayed in Underbridge with a man named Fenster the Blight. They left very shortly before Cecilia disappeared. With time left before midnight, they decide to head to Fenster to see if he knows anything.

The rundown warehouse that Fenster calls home is a wretched sight to behold. Large portions of the building have collapsed. The front entryway is just a doorless arch with a moth eaten blanket hung from the archway. Mold creeps up along the walls and most portions of the street around it are slick and filled with seeping potholes. In front of the arch sits a rusted seaman's chest and a tin platter on top of it. A barely legible sign on the wall reads LEEV A GIFT AN WATE OUTSID.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:56 pm

"Well, last time I was here, I gave old Fenster a pair of loaded dice," Erron says. "But anything worth about ten golden sails should do. Wouldn't go lower than that, though."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Anastasia lets out an annoyed groan. "Anyone got anything or am I ducking into a pawn shop?"
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 pm

"Had I known ahead of time we were required to bring an offering," Cade replies dryly, "I would have budgeted accordingly.  That said, I would not mind parting with a gold piece or two to help pay for a suitable contribution."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:42 am

"It's not much, but I believe I might have what might quantify as a suitable gift," Naomi says, hesitantly, as she unclasps the gem-bearing silver necklace from around her throat. Holding it in one hand, she also removes a couple of bracelets from around her wrist. "I don't know the exact value, but I believe these should be worth at least 10 sails."
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am

"A bit more than that, even," Flynt says, eyeing the jewelry with a discerning eye. "You could put back one of the bracelets and be fine," he advises. "And if Fenster doesn't take it, we can always add to the offering."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:53 am

Before Naomi has a chance to follow Flynt's advice, a dirty man, more skin and bones than man actually, hobbles forth from the warehouse. One of his eyes bulges out, white and sightless, the other constantly shifts about as he analyzes the offering. Seemingly satisfied, he grabs the jewelry and pockets it. He sits on the chest and looks at the party with a crooked smile, most of his teeth missing. "What yew want Fenster ta'do?"
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Anastasia crosses her arms, her face wrinkled in disgust. "The Tower Girls stayed with you recently. We're looking for one of them, Cecilia Genovese. Do you know where she is, and if not do you know where her crew are staying now?"
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 pm

"Oy those rats? I'm their lan'lord, ayam," Fenster proclaims proudly. "An' ay do know where Cecilia ran off ta, but that'd be a juicy piece a' infomaion, an' ay ain't sayin' nuthin' witout a bigger gift."
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Anastasia sighs. "Name your price, dungheap."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:06 pm

"Ay like th' look a' that bag yew got there, luv," he says, looking at Naomi. "It'd make a grayte place ta store me baubles I bet."
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05 pm

"...If I may," Cade pipes up from the rear, "may I offer my own bag instead?  Miss Naomi has already parted with her fine jewelry, and I would rather not have one person bear the weight of this expenditure alone."
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Fenster looks at Cade’s bag. ”Ers is bettah. I wan’ that one.”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinigami02 Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 pm

"Surely that won't be necessary, we just want a bit of information," Naomi says, putting on her most charming smile, her grey eye flashing brightly as she taps a deeper source of magic than her normal powers. The smile falters as she feels the power just slip right past the man.

[Charm Person SLA
He makes Save

0/1 uses remaining]
Shinigami02
Shinigami02

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Fenster looks confused for a moment, then blinks with his good eye. His mouth distorts into a scowl as he realizes what just happened. His mouth begins foaming as he pulls out a rusted sword and screams ”Yew jus’ tried ta magik ol’ Fenster! Well ay’ll fix that problem up right quick!”
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Cade falters as he watches Naomi blatantly cast a spell on the hapless Fenster, yet before he could admonish her the unclean informant unsheathes a worn blade and gestures threateningly at her.  Thinking quickly, the wizard clasps a thin leather strap hanging from his neck underneath his robes and hoists the contents forward.  At the end of the simple necklace hangs a worn sigil inscribed in an ancient language and adorned with a simple gemstone embedded in its center.  The stone glows softly as Cade utters a magical incantation, and with a gentle flash a spell blossoms forth.  Grease congeals from the air around Fenster's unkempt sword and dashes itself against the blade and handle, rendering it slick and adding another layer of grime to the already filthy weapon.

[Cast Grease using the Arcane Bond (Amulet) on the sword]
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by leonathemoth Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Ali punches the asshat right in his grimy face. As much as they'd like to slay him, they see the benefit of keeping him alive for now.
leonathemoth
leonathemoth

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Fenster leaps forward, snarling, and punches Naomi squarely in the face, knocking her back and tearing at her skin with his calloused, dirty knuckles. The rest of the party quickly surrounds him and strikes away, until he finally falls to his knees begging for mercy.

Anastasia rolls her eyes and sheathes her scimitar. "And this, Naomi, is why we don't resort to magic in the middle of negotiation. Especially not mind control magic."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by leonathemoth Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:38 pm

"And people wonder why I hate magic..." Ali turns to Fenster and growls, "Tell us what we want to know and we might spare you."
leonathemoth
leonathemoth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawblader Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Cade glowers at Naomi with obvious disapproval while he tucks his worn sigil back into his robes.  With a disgruntled sigh, he returns his focus on Fenster, still reeling from the beating Ali and Anastasia gave him.
Sawblader
Sawblader

Back to top Go down

Post by lapis-lazily Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:09 pm

"She been hidin' out in a buidin' right near here," he says between choked, fear-filled sobs. "She ain't wit th' Tower Girls no more. She been tryin' ta keep a low profile, but nuthin' get past me good peeper. Ay dun't know any more than tha', ay swaer."

He hurriedly jots down a series of simple directions and hands it to Ali.
lapis-lazily
lapis-lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by leonathemoth Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Ali puts the instructions in her pocket and looks to Naomi. "Let me take a look, I've gotten pretty used to looking after my own stuff"

[[Heal check (6+1)=7...FAIL]]

"Hmm...Haven't seen anything quite like this though."
leonathemoth
leonathemoth

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Anastasia averts her eyes in clear discomfort. "Yeah, I'm not the person to ask about something like this. I've got a friend, though, she's training as a healer and she knows all about this stuff."

Last edited by Ferret on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next