Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War for the Crown Gameplay Part 2

+2
maswoon
Drekkle
6 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

War for the Crown Gameplay Part 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: War for the Crown Gameplay Part 2

Post by Ferret Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 pm

"Ah totally agree, but wantin' ta change things so folks don't have ta turn ta crime don't mean we should just look the other way when crime's happenin'. If ya want things better ya can't just do it by breakin' the law, ya gotta fix things the right way."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

War for the Crown Gameplay Part 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: War for the Crown Gameplay Part 2

Post by maswoon Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:08 pm

"So then, a populace crushed under the weight of injustice should never rebel? Let's imagine, Corey, for a moment, that the populace was ruled by literal, actual demons. Is it still wrong to turn a blind eye to a hypothetical law that says you need to eat your firstborn?" Momo queries, fully aware of how many logical fallacies she had invoked in her careless argument.
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Adelaide taps her finger on her knee. ”I’d be interested to hear from Baron Okerra directly on this,” she says after a moment. ”At any rate, I mention all of this because if Beggarwood is already a thorn in Bartelby’s side, we may be able to use that if we can gain their trust.”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

https://critical-scumble.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 pm

"That's an awful extreme example, Momo," Corey frowns. "Ah don't think 'don't steal things' is an unreasonable law ta expect folks ta follow. Now Ah ain't judgin' folks, if ya don't see nowhere else ta turn Ah get doin' what ya gotta do. But that don't mean it's right ta ignore it when folks break the law, s'pecially not if it's part of yer job ta enforce 'em."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Momo ignores Corey, instead focusing on what Adelaide has mentioned. "Pin this conversation for now, I think. At any rate, Adelaide, do you have a plan? One less nebulous than fixing it, I mean. It seems that there is a way to stop the thefts and to gain the trust of the nobility, so we should seek for that. It's the path that allows for the most good."
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

"In a perfect world, we stop the thefts, give the beggars more legitimate ways to take care of themselves, and gain the trust of the nobility by solving the issue," Adelaide answers, looking amused at the debate between the two all the same. "That all said, I don't have a specific plan yet, though I noticed any direct conversation on the matter raised concerns that one was spying for the count. If there is an alliance of any kind to make with Beggarwood, it would need to be a slow build. And Baron Okerra may have a better idea of their usual patterns there. I'm not sure if there's a way for them to help us, but we can certainly help them, if nothing else."
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 am

Momo nods. "If our goal is getting everyone a better life, then that seems like a fine place to start," she agrees.

Last edited by maswoon on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 am

After another hour's riding, Martella sets off, wishing everyone luck and once more stressing the importance of their task before taking one of the horses and riding down the old Cassomir highway at a speedy gallop. The Palace of Birdsong's another 12 hours away, with the carriage arriving in the mid-morning hours. The palace itself isn't even visible at the point where the carriage driver informs his passengers that they've entered the grounds. The lush gardens extend for over a mile from the palace in every direction, consisting of flower gardens, low hedges, fruit and nut orchards, and vineyards. A number of swans and peacocks roam the grounds freely, and a few follow the slow-moving carriage, calling out and honking to announce their arrival. A dozen cottages line the edge of the property, residences for guests when the main building is full to capacity. Soon, the shining marbled outside of the building becomes visible as the carriage crests over a hill, a two-story mansion, opulently decorated, built around a wide courtyard, nearly as magnificent as the royal palace in Oppara. As the carriage pulls up to the building, a handsome man in his early 30s with swept-back brown hair, wearing a fine blue coat and half-cape, approaches the carriage, flanked by two servants. The servants immediately start to unload baggage while the noble greets the group with a smile. “Well met, newcomers. I am Count Bartelby Lotheed, steward of the county of Meratt, landgrave of the Hyden Marches, and tribune of Lotheedar. We understand you are the new heirs to the Betony lands. It is quite the honor to be our new neighbors, we’re sure.”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 am

Sarina delicately lifts her skirt with a hand as she descends the carriage, dropping into a curtsy once she's on the ground. "I, myself, am positively delighted, Count Lotheed," Sarina says as she straightens after an appropriate amount of time. "I am Dame Sarina Karthis, steward of Stachys, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm quite looking forwards to having a neighbor as well versed in the arcane arts as you are."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 am

That turns Count Lotheed's smile wider still, himself performing a short, polite bow in response. "A pleasure indeed, Dame Karthis. Are we to understand that you are a fellow scholar of the arcane?" he asks, a note of curiosity in his tone.

Last edited by Nobody7713 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 am

"That would be correct," Sarina confirms with a nod. "I've studied the arcane since I began to show a talent for it when I was a child. If you'll forgive my boldness, I very much hope that my scholarly pursuits will be even more fruitful, being neighbors with a powerful mage like yourself."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 am

"We know exactly what you mean, our father gifted us a set of introductory texts on our fifth birthday," Bartelby chuckles. "But there was no doubt about the talent - the entire Lotheed family has a gift for the arcane. As for learning more, we would be happy to discuss theory with you at any time, and while you're our guest you simply must visit the library. We’ve collected treatises on even some of the rarer spells."

Last edited by Nobody7713 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:23 am

"Oh, speaking of your library, I brought you a gift, as thanks for hosting the Tanager Jubilee," Sarina mentions, producing the tome on esoteric arcane theory for Bartelby.

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 am

"Well thank you," Bartelby accepts the tome gratefully, sliding it into the inside of his cloak before gesturing to the others in the carriage with a twirl of his left wrist, inviting them to introduce themselves.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 am

"Ah'm Mr. Corey Crawford, Steward of Stachys," Corey says as he steps out, bowing at the proper angle like they'd rehearsed. "It's a pleasure ta make yer acquaintance, m'lord."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am

Adelaide nods, then curtseys herself. ”Dame Adelaide Morilla, Steward of Stachys,” she introduces herself with a smile. ”It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Count Lotheed.”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 am

Momo turns her politest smile outwards, becoming the person society expected her to be. With a curtsy similar to Adelaide’s, she introduces herself. ”And I’m Dame Myoui Momo, Steward of Stachys. If I might be so bold, it’s so good to meet you after all the lovely things I’ve heard,” she bustles, with her most brilliant smile.
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodrayne03 Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:49 am

Josie curtsies and politely intones, "Dame Josephine Novius, Steward of Stachys. It’s a pleasure meet you, Count Lotheed."
bloodrayne03
bloodrayne03
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:53 am

”Welcome to the county of Meratt,” Bartelby replies simply with a nod after all the introductions. ”If you have any particular needs, our staff will be happy to help you.” With that, he turns and strides away to greet his next guests.

After Bartelby leaves, a young female jester approaches, her makeup strikingly purple, matching her feathered violet outfit. "Hello, greetings m'lords and ladies!" she chirps cheerily. "I'm Violet Finch, and I'm to be your personal attendant, herald, and guide for your stay here. Oh, and I suppose I'm also to keep you entertained," she adds the last with a self-effacing smile. "But unless you like the sound of a shrill, out of tune flute or enjoy bad jokes, I'm likely not to be much good at that task. Shall I show you to your rooms?"

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:55 pm

"Nice to meet you, Violet," Adelaide answers, unable to help but feel a bit bad for her and putting on a smile. "Showing us to our rooms would be wonderful, thank you."
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Momo looks at her, eyes darting over her form for concealed pockets or hidden weapons. ”So long as you don’t wind up trying to kill us, you don’t need to make jokes,” the Oracle finally mutters under her breath.
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Violet Finch’s lips twitch down when she sees Momo’s lips mutter something, but she doesn’t hear what and so she just flashes a bright smile. ”Off we go then!” she beams. She leads the way inside and upstairs to the guest wing, where she gestures to a series of five identical rooms, all lavishly furnished and decorated, with a wide marble bathtub in a partitioned off area. ”Would you like me to fetch servants to draw up baths for you?”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Momo nods amenably. ”Please do,” she requests.
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm

After the baths, everyone is free to wander and chat, with white wines, cheeses, and jellied calves’ feet available for snacking while they do so. The other guests gradually filter in, lingering and talking idly as they wait for the festivities to begin in earnest.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 pm

[Hella knowledge rolls]

Adelaide scans the noticeable persons in the room, quickly cataloging what she remembers about them. "Corey, Onora Piscum is both uncomfortable and made to feel unwelcome in the halls of nobility due to being a commoner," she notes quietly, nodding to a middle-aged, muscular half-elf woman with keen, watchful eyes. "You might feel most natural for her to talk to. She fell into the role of tribune of Stachys after the hereditary tribune and her husband died in the last decade." The young woman nods to someone else, a woman loudly proclaiming her opinions to anyone nearby. "Dame Mistress Crabbe. She's quite grieved by her late husband's passing, and has lately been using the search for a suitor for her daughter as an outlet. It's probably for the best Sepsinia isn't here, she's pretty quiet and seems shy from reputation." Adelaide hums, looking further. "Baroness Voinum, she's been mentioned - considered a bit of a grump, would be valuable to get on our side, I'll reach out to her once I know a bit more of her interests... hm." She frowns on reviewing a particular man and his half-elf companion. "Titus Lotheed-Casava, Lord Lotheed's cousin. Braggart, bully, slacker, and was at the Exaltation Massacre as a senate aide. And then Lord Lotheed's seneschal Gul Guisarne, who come to think of it might have been who the people of Beggarwood referred to as the enforcer."

Last edited by Aviana on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next