Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War for the Crown Gameplay

+3
maswoon
Ferret
Aviana
7 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

War for the Crown Gameplay - Page 2 Empty Re: War for the Crown Gameplay

Post by Aviana Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:21 pm

Receiving the mask delicately, Adelaide finds herself speechless for a moment in examining the finer details. "Thank you very much, Lady Atratus, this is wonderful," she comments, passing it to Sarina next for examination. "Just lovely, and powerful too." She shakes her head slightly and turns back to Atratus. "As to the discussion, what form of tribute were you receiving before?"
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

https://critical-scumble.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:23 pm

"Seeds from plants suitable to this climate that don't yet live in this area," Atratus explains simply. "Flowers, reeds, trees. Plants I could use to beautify my home."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:27 pm

All eyes fall on Momo. She rolls her eyes. "Yes. I can provide some of those. My family has plenty of plants native to Tian Xia, and I can send home for those if they'd suit you," Momo offers. "None at our estate currently, but it wouldn't take too long for them to arrive."
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:34 pm

"I have not been to Tian Xia, but if the plants are beautiful and can exist in harmony with those already living here, then they would certainly suffice," Atratus agrees with a deep nod. "And in return, I will allow safe passage along the highway and through the wilderness, though poachers will continue to face my wrath."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodrayne03 Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Josie chimes in, "Personally, I fully endorse you punishing poachers in this area."
bloodrayne03
bloodrayne03
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:45 pm

"I'm glad we agree. Be sure to inform any successors you may have of our deal, that has been an issue in the past, and please do feel free to come visit me whenever you'd like," Atratus replies, smiling. After an exchange of farewells, the Betony heirs head home.

The next day, they leave early to go to Voinaris to meet with Baroness Voinum. As they approach the small community, the smell of wine and vinegar becomes stronger and stronger, becoming impossible to ignore by the time they reach the town gate, which is guarded by a mix of older, retired soldiers still in their army uniforms and younger trainees. After checking inside the carriage, they all bow deeply and allow it passage to the Voinum estate, which sits across a couple miles of vineyards. Their approach is heralded by a rider on a single horse, far outspeeding the carriage itself, and so they're greeted on arrival by the Baroness herself, dressed in a navy blue Imperial dress uniform, medal pinned to her chest. "I am glad to see you've accepted my invitation. Welcome to Voinaris, my family's ancestral home for centuries."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Wed May 13, 2020 6:25 pm

"We're very pleased to be here," Adelaide answers brightly, giving a deep curtsey. "Thank you for having us."
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 pm

"Of course. Would you like wine after?" the baroness offers, waving a servant over carrying a tray with a couple bottles of white wine and some glasses.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Wed May 13, 2020 7:40 pm

"I wouldn't mind a refreshment," Sarina says, with a curtsy of thanks towards the Baroness. She takes an appreciative sip of the offered glass, complimenting "Delightful to taste the wines of Voinaris, as always."

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Wed May 13, 2020 10:03 pm

"Thank you," Baroness Voinum replies with a tip of her head, pouring glasses of wine for whoever wants them, including herself. "Now, let's get to business before dinner," she announces, leading the way inside to what could only be described as a war council room. It has spartan decorations, a large, olive wood round table, and maps and scrolls resting on counters around. "As my letter suggested, I'm interested in providing funds and supplies to contribute to Stachys's restoration, conditioned on purchasing an interest in your vineyards. Specifically, I'll offer you 3000 crowns in exchange for 8% of the vineyards' annual profits for the next 20 years. I do mean profits after taxes and expenses, of course, I don't intend to threaten the stability of your town and estate should there be a drought or a flood in a given year."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Drekkle Wed May 13, 2020 10:45 pm

"Eight percent off the profits for the next twenty years sounds a bit steep to me," Sarina notes, settling easily into the negotiations. "And of course, the three thousand crowns will be invested in making Stachys more prosperous, increasing the return you would get from an interest. How does a 5% share of the profits sound instead?"

Drekkle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Wed May 13, 2020 10:50 pm

The legate takes a long sip of her wine, stone-faced. "And yet, Stachys does not have any recent records of profits, and all of you, no offense intended, are untested stewards. It is hardly a safe investment for me," she counters. "I could move a little, though. 5% would only barely turn a profit assuming every year is good. 7%."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm

”I do recognize and appreciate the risk you are taking,” Adelaide comments with a nod, calculating. ”All things considered, 7% sounds perfectly reasonable to me.”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu May 14, 2020 1:28 pm

"Excellent," Baroness Voinum nods. "I'll have the contract drawn up, signed, and sent to your estate, along with the promised supplies. There was one other matter I wanted to discuss with you all." She takes a deep breath and leans forwards. "I want to know who forged the records to get you all possession of the Betony estate."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 pm

Adelaide raises an eyebrow, sets aside her wine, and leans forward on one hand. "And where does that question come from?" she asks, looking to match the baroness's tone with her own amused smile.
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm

"Please, five people with exactly equal claims? That's incredibly unlikely. So I did digging, and I found that the claims don't quite hold up to rigorous research, though they are very well-concealed, and the actual forgeries are exceptional," Baroness Voinum replies. "By the way, this room is protected from peering eyes and ears, magical and otherwise. So speak freely."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu May 14, 2020 8:32 pm

"I was a little concerned about how such a large coincidence would pass, but I'm relieved it was you doing the investigating, truthfully," Adelaide comments, leaning back and taking her wine in hand again. "I don't want to hide anything from you, but I'm sure the person doing the work would feel differently. We are here to help Stachys, though, and other areas of this county that have been mishandled in some way by, ah, higher ups." She takes a sip of wine.
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm

"Here's what else I've pieced together. You all either have worked for or are still working for Princess Eutropia or an ally of hers, perhaps Gloriana Morilla," Baroness Voinum continues. "You were all present at the exaltation gala, despite none of you receiving an express invitation, and escaped together. At that gala, several of you expressed political sentiments favouring Princess Eutropia, and since then all of you have, except Dame Karthis, who merely met the princess. And now you're here, and I believe that you are telling me part of the truth. I am sure that your management is helping the citizens of Stachys far more than its previous lack of leadership was. However, I don't believe that whoever forged those documents intends that as the final goal." The baroness drains the rest of her wine and sets it down. "Meratt's an interesting place. The Grand Duchess of the region is currently undeclared in the brewing civil war - because that is what, I'm sure you are aware, we are heading to - and the Lotheeds, historic allies of the Stavians, now hold Stavian land but openly support Pythareus, rather than the only reasonable Stavian remaining. Wouldn't you call it curious that an ally of Princess Eutropia has sent five talented young people to the county right now?"

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu May 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Adelaide can't help but grin as the baroness lays out her case, same recognizing same. "I certainly would consider it curious, and appreciate your compliments included as well," she answers. Considering and swirling her wine in her glass, Adelaide adds, "You do have the larger picture correct, though I feel the need to clarify that my aunt is not the point of connection. She and I share strong feelings about my finding my own way forward. That said, I suppose the identity of the ally is less consequential than the alliance in general."
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu May 14, 2020 9:12 pm

"The specific identity of the ally is a personal curiosity for me, in truth," Baroness Voinum admits. "They're clearly versed in noble circles, but also talented in a spymaster's skills, including covering their own tracks. I'm fairly certain that they're close to Princess Eutropia, but the only name that comes to mind is your aunt when I overlap all those traits."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu May 14, 2020 9:23 pm

"Well, since that ally has done so well covering their tracks to this point, I'm sure you could understand where uncovering them at this point could lead to additional complications," Adelaide answers candidly. "I do apologize for not being able to address that curiosity."
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 pm

"Hmm, I'll have to do more work to figure it out myself then," Baroness Voinum muses. "In any case, I have no intention to stop you. Frankly, this county has been too boring for too long, and Bartelby Lotheed is a pompous ass."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Fri May 15, 2020 5:35 pm

”Glad to add a little spice, then,” Adelaide comments with a chuckle. ”And indeed he is, on top of being apparently a poor steward. We’ve already had to clean up some of his work in our lands.”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri May 15, 2020 7:59 pm

"Of course you have. Normally it's us barons or the local lords handling that, but your lands haven't had a lord or lady for some time, and Telus is gods know where," Baroness Voinum grumbles.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Fri May 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Adelaide hums, frowning slightly at that. ”I suppose there’s no particular reason you should know, but it concerns me a bit that even you’re not certain of Baron Telus’s situation. We really do need to meet with him sooner rather than later, but...”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next