Critical Scumble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War for the Crown Gameplay Part 1

+2
Aviana
Nobody7713
6 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

War for the Crown Gameplay Part 1 - Page 7 Empty Re: War for the Crown Gameplay Part 1

Post by Nobody7713 Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:54 am

Duke Centimus, who had been observing a couple plaques related to natural history in the archive, spins his wheelchair around quite deftly to face Momo. His features are quite handsome, with well-proportioned features and piercing blue eyes, though his face is perhaps a bit rounder than it was before his accident. "Of course, I don't exactly plan to be leaving this chair," he jokes with a little smirk. "What can I help you with?"

Martella outright giggles when she catches Corey's wink, then leans over and taps the head of her own brass cricket, perched on the bannister near her. Taking the letter from Corey and seeing who it's from, she asks, "So how did you like Count Zespire and Lady Morilla?"

Baron Okerra keeps smiling and nodding along to what Adelaide says. "Very true. In fact, you need only look to my dear friend Count Zespire to see what heights a third-born son can rise to without inheriting a single penny of his parents' wealth or land. Very well, consider me convinced. Though, out of curiosity, what is your personal reason for supporting tonight's motion? I've heard you, wisely, give me reasons to support it that you think would appeal to me, but I have to wonder what makes you feel so strongly about it."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

War for the Crown Gameplay Part 1 - Page 7 Empty Re: War for the Crown Gameplay Part 1

Post by Ferret Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 am

"Oh, they were real friendly," Corey says, grinning. "I expected them ta just brush me off or somethin', but they asked me 'bout home 'an such. It was awful nice of 'em."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:07 pm

”Oh, well...” Adelaide pauses to consider her response, not having planned this particular argument out. Discussion. This isn’t a debate, now. She speaks a little more slowly. ”The second point I gave is actually the main reason, truthfully. At Sinora Academy, I met a lot of young women who had many ideas about how to help Taldan be its best self. For that matter, I ended up having a lot of ideas of my own, through what I learned from our history and our current policies. Right now, though, if any of us want to help our nation through its laws, any change has to be approved by a man somewhere down the line rather than there being the option to directly make it happen. While that’s not impossible, it’s certainly a steep limitation.” Adelaide frowns as she thinks. ”It’d be one thing if there was a strong reason for the system to follow such a method, like you wouldn’t ask someone who couldn’t see to identify the best colors for a painting. But, there’s nothing that inherently makes women worse at leading, or at creating and revising laws to serve the greater good. Most of the counterarguments I’ve heard boil down to change being scary. And maybe it is, but that doesn’t make it less necessary.”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

https://critical-scumble.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Momo makes her best effort to not blurt something about the chair or his legs immediately, and instead asks, ”I am curious about what you thought of Princess Eutropia’s speech.”
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm

”They tend to be like that, yes,” Martella smiles. ”Count Zespire is deeply pragmatic. He’s more interested in governing a country that works than playing silly political games. And Lady Morilla is an excellent judge of character, and so she appreciates honesty when she can get it. Which isn’t often around here.”

Okerra just nods along as Adelaide speaks, listening intently. ”Well said. But I would caution you that there are times that slower, incremental change is called for. I don’t believe this is one of them, but if you expect all change to come quickly you will be disappointed. Even still, I do think I’ll be throwing my public support behind your cause now, and I will be watching your career intently.”

Centimus pauses for a moment, as though first considering it just now. ”I thought it was bold. Calling out her opponents so publicly was unusual, though perhaps not for Princess Eutropia. As usual it was well-delivered, she’s a fine speaker, and it would likely be quite persuasive to the uninformed and undecided. And yourself, what are your thoughts?”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Momo nods, and answers, "I suspect you can guess my answer," with a bemused smile. "I agree that she's remarkably well-spoken, and were it up to me, she would certainly have my vote. I suppose that's only natural though."
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm

"And I suppose it's not too early for me to reveal that, it actually being up to me in part, she does in fact have my vote," Centimus reveals.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Aviana Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 pm

”Yes, sir,” Adelaide answers with a smile. ”And thank you.”
Aviana
Aviana
Admin

https://critical-scumble.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Corey nods thoughtfully. "Yeah, I figured they were some of the good'uns. Must be, ta be part o' yer conspiracy."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:59 pm

"Likewise. Enjoy your evening, Lady Adelaide," Baron Okerra gives Adelaide a short bow.

"I try to find good people to work with. Though, to be fair, there are certain stuffier nobles who are decent. They just tend to be a bit formal. Marquess Deschamps, for example, very much has a taste for parties like these and all the formalities, but when push comes to shove there are few I'd rather have on my side," Martella explains. "Incidentally, those letters you carried? Vote count estimations from two people with very different spheres of influence. Depending a little on what Momo finds, I suspect we will find ourselves successful tonight."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 pm

"Well, ain't that a treat ta hear." Corey smiles brightly. "Ah ain't one fer fancy talk, but the speech the Princess gave sounded mighty fine. Sophia'll be glad ta hear it too."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 pm

"There are a great many young women, and older women for that matter, who will be very happy if all goes well tonight. Also, consider yourself free to spend the rest of the evening how you want. Thanks for all your help tonight, I'll let you know if anything else comes up," Martella takes the letter he delivered and slips it into a fashionable pouch she wears on her hip that matches her outfit.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferret Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm

"Ah'm happy ta help." Corey bows, this time slightly more elegantly than the last. "An' thank you, fer the chance ta come here an' meet so many interestin' folks."
Ferret
Ferret

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:35 am

Momo smiles politely, though traces of a genuine gladness creep into the practiced expression. "That's excellent, sir. Your reputation for canny policy is true."
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:41 am

”Reputation, you say? I suppose I’ll have to work harder at concealing it then,” Centimus chuckles with a shake of his head. ”Perhaps engage in some drunken buffoonery after the vote.”

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

"Should you want a friend for that, give me a message," Momo offers, a mostly-joke. "Mind if I ask why you're going to vote this way?"
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

"A number of reasons," Centimus replies cagily to Momo. "And yourself? Are you the eldest of your family and thus would directly benefit from this change, or do you have another motive?"

As this conversation continues, Sarina impresses more on the Senate floor, making a good show in her politicking there, and Josie makes her way to the servants' area, though she initially fails to make much of an impression on them.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

"No, I've two elder sisters, sir. They'd be ahead of me." Momo responds with a laugh. "I stand for it because I believe it's right, or at the very least, a stepping stone to some sort of merit based system."
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm

"That is understandable," Centimus nods to Momo. "And what would you consider merit to be, for the purposes of leadership and governance?"

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

”Well, knowledge on matters of court, at least,” Momo responds. ”Personability, the support of their peers, well-studied. Policy is largely irrelevant in merit, but they should be able to articulate their policy clearly, and speak confidently.”
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 pm

"I see. My own views are similar, if tied to my own personal situation. The reason I support abolishing primogeniture is because I believe that one's ability to govern and thus their right to inherit ought not be tied to any condition of their body, whether that be their sex, injury, disfigurement, homeliness, sickliness, or most anything else that has no bearing on the condition of their mind. And incidentally, under the current law, only one of those factors is considered disqualifying. I would see that changed," Centimus replies with a smile.

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Momo nods. "Well said, well said... Would that it were already law, hm?" Momo says with a laugh. "I can only hope every head voting tonight is as level as yours."
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:24 pm

"As do I, but I know for a fact that is not the case," Centimus offers a thin smile. "But hopefully there are enough of us."

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by maswoon Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Momo curtsies. "Thank you, Duke Centimus. It was good to talk to you," Momo says.
maswoon
maswoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobody7713 Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 pm

"Likewise, Lady Momo. I know your family doesn't often receive invitations to events like these, but I will be sure to send you one to the next I host," Centimus replies with a deep nod, his closest approximation to a bow that he can manage.

As this happens, Josie endears herself more to the servants in their own area, and they soon start talking with her about Marquess Tanasha Starborn, who they hold in high esteem as someone who treats them quite well, even while acknowledging her eccentricities like her energetic and mischievous disposition and her love of magic. Back on the Senate floor, Sarina for once fails to impress those around her as the content matter of discussions and debates turned to tariffs on the opposite side of Taldor as her home. Adelaide learns that Zespire's best approached with either talk about practical matters or personal but not invasive small talk. In the courtyard, Corey manages to impress more with his knowledge and care about bees, and a few people start chatting with him. Conversation turns to Kalbio of Breezy Creek, and he learns that it seems like Kalbio's lacking any real companionship right now and would gladly latch on to anyone who gives him respect and the time of day.

Soon, they all hear Martella's voice coming from their badges. "Hi everyone. I know I said I wanted to avoid the politicking and just enjoy a gala, but apparently I can't help myself. It seems like you've done good work so far. Keep an eye on your remaining targets, but well done. I'm not calling in to mother hen you though. There’s a young woman here, look subtly at the muscular woman about twenty meters left to me, surrounded by three young men: Malphene Trant, the daughter of Senator Trant. She’s a belligerent, narcissistic ass, and a bully as well. If she’s here, it’s likely to intimidate one of more of the junior senators into backing her father. If one or more of you could keep an eye on her and... quietly intercede should she try, I would be quite grateful."

Last edited by Nobody7713 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nobody7713

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next